In a new series, along side clips to show in science lessons I plan to include various songs (some intentional some not) that can be used for starters in lessons. Ideas for how these could be used:
- These can be played as students enter the classroom.
- Act as an introduction to the upcoming lesson/topic.
- A ‘guess’ what the lesson is all about.
- Write down as many keywords in the song for topic on mini white boards
- Using the tune rewrite the lyrics to fit…….
The first top 10 – are Physics starters:
- Waves/reflection – Michael Jackson – Man in the mirror
- Pressure – Queen – Under Pressure
- Big Bang – Barenaked Ladies – History of everything
- Space/Forces – Elton John – Rocket Man
- The Sun/Fusion – They might be giants – Why does the sun shine
- The Universe – Katie Melua (+ Simon Singh) – Nine million bicycles
- CERN/Higgs – Nick Cave & the bad seeds – Higgs Boson blues
- Fission – Diana Ross – Chain Reaction
- Star lifecycles – Moby – We are all made of stars
- The universe/Galaxy – Stephen Hawkings/Monty Python feat. Brian Cox – The Galaxy Song
I will be adding more in due course. Contact me if you want to add any of your own.